20 June 2005

"We're on a mission from Gawt."

I didn't realize what day today was until NPR blared the music.

Then they did a tiny schtick: Twenty-five years ago today,
The Blues Brothers
mixed an early Saturday Night Live sketch with some classic gospel and soul singers, and one of the finest pileups in movie crash history.

Wow. Who knew? I find it sad, though, that the only other place that honored a classic was on Nickelodeon.

You read that right. Nickelodeon. My oldest daughter's favorite show, Drake & Josh, managed to honor John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd with a sketch that mimicked the Soul Man act.

Directed by Fred Savage. Yes, that Fred Savage.

Go pull out the tape or DVD, groove to the tunes, watch Jake and Elwood travel through the Chi-town, and see the beauty that is Lower Wacker Drive.

1 comment:

Gina said...

That movie is an eternal favorite, and my family and I can quote it backward and forward. The music is amazing, and the writing is just great. Even the minor lines are classics:

"Four fried chickens, and a Coke."
"How much for the little girl?"
"Oh, we got both kinds: country AND Western!"

Fun! I'm going to watch it tonight after work.