10 April 2005

Snake attack

Well, not really. But after lifting a rock in one of our flower beds to go after a dandelion, my eldest and I found a garter snake.

I think we scared each other equally.

I flew about three feet, I think, and I like snakes.

The snake jumped up (it was probably 2 feet long) and made for the shrubby undergrowth that we were trying to remove.

My eldest gave of a shriek loud enough to make you think she found a dead body. Hysteria doesn't quite describe it.

After taking a good five minutes to calm her down, we cautiously approached the rock again. I showed her where he was, then we went inside and looked him up in our nature book.

I proved that garter snakes don't eat small girls, or their fingers, but rather bugs and small rodents. So, hey, he can take down the squirrel population here, that would be okay.

After the hysterics passed, she was more than happy to show off the snake to her younger brother, who was duly impressed: "Wow, wook, Mom, a snake! We don't touch snake."

No, we don't.

No comments: